/ Forums / Advansys Formativ / Commercial Formativ Solutions by Advansys / Personalized emailer problem with Mime encoding

• Creator
    Topic
    Aldous
    Participant

Hi,

I found that the Personalized emailer doesn’t work if I have GW MIME Encoding set to “UTF-8” which is default with GW 7.0.2. Is there any fix for this, please?

Thanks,
      Aldous

• Author
      Replies
      Support 3
      Participant

Thanks for reporting the issue to us. We will investigate this issue and let you know the results.

Could you please provide more information about what do you mean by the emailer does not work (i.e. does the solution stops, sent in-correct email, etc).

Look forward to hear from you.

Regards,
        Advansys Support

Support 3
        Participant

We have tested the solution against GW 7.0.2 (build date: 06/04/07). This solution is working in our environment although we think it require enhancement to specify the charset type.

This solution use fixed “charset=iso-8859-1” and we think it should let end user to change the charset type for the META tag. Our GroupWise encoding is set to IS0-8859-15, you can change the message view encoding by right mouse clicking on the message body then select a encoding.

You can also set the default send message encoding by changing the Tools – Options – Send – Send Options – MIME Encoding.

Whats is your encoding? Please let us know if we have misunderstood you. To clarify the issue, please provide steps to re-produce.

Regards,
          Advansys Support

Aldous
          Participant

Hi,

1. What I mean that it doesn’t work: it didn’t insert the value of the field into the message. (e.g. it did not replace [[name]] with the actual name in the address book.)

2. My MIME Encoding set to “UTF-8”. Yes, if I change to “IS0-8859” in GW client, it will work. Unfortuately, ISO-8859 is a smaller character set than UTF-8. We need to use “UTF-8” encoding because there are some special characters does not included in ISO-8859. (e.g. the copy rights icon – little “c” within a circle).

3. In fact, I found the same problem if I use other version of GW (e.g. 6.5.x)

Is there any way to use “UTF-8” encoding?

Thanks,
            Aldous

Support 3
            Participant

We looked at the issue and found the following behaviour:

If you use the UTF-8, GroupWise use base64 encoding in Mime.822 file. Current version of the Personalized Emailer only support the quoted-printable encoding so if base64 encoding is used then the Personalized Emailer unable to replace the special marker (e.g. [[NAME]], [[First Name]], etc). Please see below a sample of Mime header with base64 encoding.

Mime.822 file with UTF-8 encoding

quote:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
              Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
              Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date=”Tue, 23 Apr 2007 23:50:22
              +1000″

RGVhciBbW05hbWVdXQ==

The Personalized Emailer solution need to updated to support base64 encoding. We have added this issue and enhancement request into our database.

In the meantime, you can use IS0-8859-15 encoding. You need to change the default Mime Encoding to “ISO Default” (Tools- Options – Send – Send Options – MIME Encoding – ISO Default), change the message view encoding by right mouse clicking on the message body then select a encoding. ISO-8859-15 should support the copy rights icon (keystroke: Alt+0169). See the Character Map utility (Start Menu – Programs – Accessories – System Tools) for more keystroke.

Character Map utility, when you click on the character you want to see, in the right hand corner of the screen, it shows you the shortcut keys to type the character directly in your program. To use the shortcut keys, first, make sure you Num Lock is on. Next, hold down the Alt key plus the numbers to create the character. For example, to type the character selected in the above screen, type Alt+0233. When you release the Alt key, the character will appear.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
              Advansys Support

Support 3
              Participant

We have updated the solution (http://www.advansyscorp.com/forums/topic/4901057941/) and will send you shortly the updated version through email.

Regards,
                Advansys Support

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.