/ Forums / Advansys Formativ / eDirectory/NDS Management / User Cache Directory

• Creator
    Topic
    ctaleck
    Participant

I have a workstation where two versions of an applet are kept in the cache. “IPA Diagnostics_Flexalock.vbf” is shown twice in the cache directory with one being an old version. The other applets are the latest versions.

User Cache Directory
      C:Documents and SettingswsuserLocal SettingsApplication DataAdvansysFormativ1.0CacheIndex.dat
      …lication DataAdvansysFormativ1.0Cache{0E507BCA-78B6-447B-A538-E1375CF45C1F}
      …lication DataAdvansysFormativ1.0Cache{21E60D7A-5F8A-465A-919D-CA53117ED57C}
      …lication DataAdvansysFormativ1.0Cache{41F64E7D-9753-446E-9FAC-9890972B23F7}
      …v1.0Cache{0E507BCA-78B6-447B-A538-E1375CF45C1F}IPA Diagnostics_Flexalock.vbf <–
      …mativ1.0Cache{21E60D7A-5F8A-465A-919D-CA53117ED57C}IPA Sign-In_Flexalock.vbf
      …v1.0Cache{41F64E7D-9753-446E-9FAC-9890972B23F7}IPA Diagnostics_Flexalock.vbf <–
      …che{41F64E7D-9753-446E-9FAC-9890972B23F7}IPA Edit-Review Request_Flexalock.vbf

Without having to go to each machine to clear this cache, is there a method to force clear the User Cache Directory centrally so that only the latest applets are available?

• Author
      Replies
      Support 3
      Participant

You can use Formativ Configuration Object then set ‘Update applet cache on client startup’ checkbox. Please see the Formativ Studio Users Guide – ‘Configuration Object’ section for more information.

For your convenient, I have pasted below some text from the Users Guide…

quote:

Update applet cache on client startup
        In Formativ 1.0 this setting was called Reload shared Applets on GroupWise client startup. When this option is enabled, the user’s subscribed eDirectory Formativ Applet libraries are always accessed on client startup to ensure that the Formativ workstation’s local Applet cache is always up to date. This procedure ensures that the Formativ user is always running the latest Applet version stored in eDirectory. The update process varies according to the option Enable intelligent applet caching (see below). To maintain a local, fast-access eDirectory Applet ‘mirror,’ this setting should be enabled for most environments.

Enable intelligent applet caching
        In Formativ 1.0, this option was called Enabled when using GroupWise Remote. In Formativ 1.5 and above, the operation of this feature has been enhanced to work in conjunction with Update applet cache on client startup, which must be enabled for the intelligent caching option to work. As in Formativ 1.0, enabling this option prevents the local workstation Applet cache from being cleared when you exit the GroupWise client. Intelligent Applet caching, introduced in Formativ 1.5, works by the Formativ client interrogating a Formativ library Applet UTC ‘timestamp,’ which is set when the Applet is published to eDirectory by Formativ Studio (you must extend the schema using the Formativ Schema Wizard to use this feature). This means that an Applet will only be downloaded from eDirectory if the Applet stored in the local workstation cache has a timestamp which is older than that of the library Applet.

The result is minimum traffic over the network and fast GroupWise client startup, without sacrificing the benefits of centralized distribution and management via eDirectory. If you wish to use eDirectory Formativ Applet libraries with GroupWise Remote, Enable intelligent applet caching must be enabled.

Regards,
        Advansys Support

ctaleck
        Participant

I guess I should clarify the problem.

I’m asking the question exactly because I do have these options checked and yet, the cache was not cleared on one of my users machines.

How do I ensure the old ones are gone with out having to go to each machine and delete the cache directory?

Does the Formativ Control panel settings override the Config object settings in this case? In other words, if a user un-checked the options, would this turn it off for them?

Support 3
          Participant

Sorry for the delay.

quote:

How do I ensure the old ones are gone with out having to go to each machine and delete the cache directory?

In Formativ Configuration Object:

1) Update applet cache on startup should be CHECKED
            2) Enable intelligent applet caching should be UNCHECKED

With this settings, Formativ will deletes all the cache directories on GroupWise client startup. If Applet library contains many applets then this settings may result some traffic over the network and slow to start GroupWise client. However, you may only want do it for a short time to refresh cache to all users.

quote:

Does the Formativ Control panel settings override the Config object settings in this case? In other words, if a user un-checked the options, would this turn it off for them?

Formativ Configuration settings override Formativ Control panel settings.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
            Advansys Support

ctaleck
            Participant

Got it. A bit of reverse thinking, but I guess it will do the trick. Thank you.

Support 3
              Participant

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
                Advansys Support

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.