/ Forums / Advansys Archive To Go, Advansys PST Creator / Archive To Go / Object reference not set to an instance of an object

• Creator
    Topic
    wjclerk
    Participant

I receive the afore mentioned error message immediately upon startup of the Archive to Go Creator. The interface does not come up unless I ignore several times at which time I only get a window that allows me to click on next, back or cancel with no other options or detail. The only button that does anything is cancel which closes the window. The Wizard bar says “The text” and one line down says “Step Description.”

I am using the demo version 1.5 on Vista Business. I have disabled Norton Internet Security 2008 antivirus and spyware protection, tried installing with and without the GW 7.02 client running (in remote mode, if that makes any difference), and as an administrator with UAC turned off. .NET 1.1 framework is installed, and the Windows Installer did not seem to have any problem running the MSI file. No errors reported. Have tried to repair with no success.

I would really like to evaluate the product, but I can’t get past the starting post. Can you help? I can send screen captures of the exact error text that I am seeing.

• Author
      Replies
      Support 2

Thanks for your message and we would certainly like to you be in a position to evaluate the product. We’ve seen what may be a similar problem before, although it was a ‘one-off’ with an installation of Archive To Go 1.1 on XP. It related to a problem with Archive To Go Creator not being able to create/access its XML configuration files upon initial startup. These are stored on a per current user basis in Windows. The solution was as follows below.

• Uninstall Archive To Go via Add/Remove Programs.
        • Rename the following folder: C:Documents and Settings[Windows Username]Application DataAdvansysArchive To Go to something else, like C:Documents and Settings[Windows Username]Application DataAdvansysArchive To Go.bak. This folder contains the configuration files for Archive To Go and to preserve your settings it does not get removed automatically between versions.
        • Reinstall Archive To Go 1.2 by running the latest archive2go.msi (1.2) installation file.
        • If you wish to restore your previous configuration and test again, rename C:Documents and Settings[Windows Username]Application DataAdvansysArchive To Go.bak to the original name, C:Documents and Settings[Windows Username]Application DataAdvansysArchive To Go.

If this does not work, could you please send the configuration files found in the folder above to support@advansyscorp.com.

Kind Regards,

Advansys Support

wjclerk
        Participant

There has not been a previous instance of Archive to Go on my computer. The version I have downloaded from your web site as a trial version says it is 1.5. You mentioned 1.2. Is 1.5 a beta, or is 1.2 still available for download (if for stability issues?)

I took your recommendations including renaming the folder in Vista under c:Users[username]AppdataRoamingAdvansysArchive To Go, uninstalling and reinstalling. The same error occured.

I am e-mailing the two xml files in the directory and a jpg of the error message. Let me know if I can provide you with any other information. Thanks for helping with this issue. I have used GroupWise for a long time and would like to protect the messages from several years from possible message store corruption over time.

Support 2

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, 1.2 was a typo, it should have been 1.5, which is released. The engineers will look at the information you sent and get back to you.

Kind Regards,

Advansys Support

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.