/ Forums / Advansys Formativ / Creating Solutions with Formativ / Performance of creating addressbook entries

• Creator
    Topic
    griesserag
    Participant

Hello

I wrote a formativ applet which gets some data from a mssql database and imports this into a personal addressbook in groupwise. The transfer works fine but the performance is really bad. It needs about 18 minutes to read 868 datasets from the mssql database and create the entries in the addressbook after that. Where could be the bottleneck? Is this kind of speed while creating addressbook entries normal?

Thanks

Regards

• Author
      Replies
      Support 3
      Participant

This is a known issue and we have reported to Novell few times over the years but haven’t had any response. We also noticed the process to add entries into Address Book (AB) slow dramatically after 250-300 entries.

You can place debug trace into your applet to see the performance. We will recommend to place debug trace before & after you access database, add entry into AB, after entry added into AB. See the forum post below to use the debug view:
        http://www.advansyscorp.com/forums/topic/664107894/

Regards,
        Advansys Support

I’m glad to find someone with the same problem. I wrote a simular solution a few years ago, and I learned to live with it. We have to import about 20.000 entries each day. On a fresh Groupwise system, it takes about 2-3 hours, but as time goes by it increased up to 10 hours.
        A month ago, the total time suddenly increased up to 18 (!) hours.

At first I thought the internal database is corrupt, or at least for removed contacts, the disk space was not released. The userxxx.db file for that user was about 3 GB. After running gwcheck.exe the problem still exists.

For now I’m trying to figure out a solution to do once in a week a full import (friday), and on the other working days, just import records that have been changed.

For Advansys Support, if Novell knows about this problem, please keep asking them to work on a solution as these imports are very important for us.

Support 3
        Participant

We haven’t heard anything from Novell yet. Could you please tell us the GroupWise version you are running. Do you see the same behaviour in GroupWise 7?

Regards,
          Advansys Support

We’re using Groupwise 7. The problem also existed on 6.5 and earlier versions.

griesserag
          Participant

…yes, we’re also using GW 7.01 and the problem still exists. We heard nothing from novell…

Regards

Support 3
            Participant

Thanks. We will contact Novell and let you know any update. It always helps getting a bug fixed if other reports are received, so you may want to report it to Novell via the Developernet Support Forum independently from us.

Alternatively, you can post GroupWise Object API related questions into the following forum:
              http://groups.google.com.au/group/novell.devsup.gwobjapi?hl=en

Regards,
              Advansys Support

OK. I posted a message in that group. Let’s hope Novell works on it, as they have address book performance problems since the early groupwise days (according to Google).

I tried to run the applet on another user’s account on the same postoffice, the performance was a little bit better: 13 hours instead of 18 ….

griesserag
              Participant

Hi. Now we’ve a new year, but still nothing heard from novell?! Do you have any update to this case?
                Regards

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.